Before this you must ensure your tax preferences are set:
Turning on the Sales Tax preference
1. In QB, click Edit > Preferences.
2. On the left side of the Preferences window, scroll down to Sales Tax and select it.
3. Click the Company Preferences tab.
4. At the top of the screen select Yes to the question Do you charge your customers sales tax?
5. Indicate whether you pay sales tax monthly, quarterly, or annually.
6. Indicate whether you owe your tax agencies when you create an invoice (accrual basis) or when you receive a customer payment (cash basis).
7. From the Most common sales tax list, choose the tax item or group you will use most often.
8. Clear the check box at the bottom of the window if you do not want QuickBooks to print a T next to each taxable item on printed invoices or cash sale receipts (the T always shows onscreen, whether or not you select this option).
9. Click OK to save your changes.